The Biocomputing Unit (BCU) of the National Center for Biotechnology, headed by Drs. Jose Maria Carazo and Carlos Oscar Sanchez Sorzano, works in the area of both experimental and computational structural biology, coordinating Spanish efforts in the European Infrastructure for Integrative Structural Biology Instruct-ERIC.
We develop new ways to extract and integrate biomedical information with a structural focus. In particular, and in the context of this position, we develop an integrative environment where both structural models and cryo Electron Microscopy maps are put in the context of multiple other pieces of information as part of an ELIXIR Recommended Interoperability Resource.
We are looking for a Bioinformatician participating in the development of key components of our Structural Biology tools, specially 3DBionotes.
- Adding new features to the platform focusing on added value to a broad spectrum of users.
- Searching for new data sources, dealing with their integration with current data and proposing new ways of representation will cover much of the time.
- Interacting with current and potential users.
- Frequent planning and coordination meetings with the rest of the team are expected.
- Writing reports and instruction manuals as well as presenting results to Projects stakeholders and the general public will regularly occur.
- BSc, MSc level or equivalent qualification in Bioinformatics, Information Technology, Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Proficiency using a command line UNIX/Linux environment.
- Knowledge of Docker or other containerization technologies.
- Experience of working with a high volume of data.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including strong written and verbal communication in English.
The following skills are considered a “plus”, but are not essential:
- Knowledge of Structural biology and willingness to stay up-to-date.
- Experience in data analysis, reporting and visualization.
- Knowledge and some degree of experience using relational and/or noSQL databases.
- Web development experience.
- Familiar with producing consuming Web Services.
- Experience with international, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Analytical mind, eager to learn and flexible to adapt to a result driven environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Interested candidates should send their CV’s and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org