One is funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and studies EGFRs and associated complexes on the cell membrane. EGFR is a membrane protein of around 200 kDa involved in breast cancer and a target for new therapies. In this study our collaborators at Zurich-ETH produce cryo-ET tilt-series which are then transferred to Madrid for their further image processing analysis.
The other project focuses on the structural analysis of CoV2 variants mapping on the Spike, mostly by Single Particle Analysis methods. The Biocomputing Unit excels in the development of new image processing approaches to tackle hard problems (see some enclosed recent publications).
We are looking for experienced researchers at the postdoc level experts in SPA and subtomogram averaging who would be responsible for image processing (for EGFR) and data collection and image processing (for CoV2), working side by side with other colleagues either developing new image processing methods in XMIPP or engaged in software integration projects in Scipion. Our laboratory is located at the National Center of Biotechnology in Madrid, a reference institute in Spain in cryo-EM equipped with two microscopes with direct detector (Talos Arctica and CryoARM 300) and a FIB-SEM microscope, providing a very immersive and interdisciplinary environment.
- FSC-Q: a CryoEM map-to-atomic model quality validation based on the local Fourier shell correlation. Ramírez-Aportela E, Maluenda D, Fonseca YC, Conesa P, Marabini R, Heymann JB, Carazo JM, Sorzano COS. Nat Commun. 12(1):42. 2021
- Measuring local-directional resolution and local anisotropy in cryo-EM maps. Vilas JL, Tagare HD, Vargas J, Carazo JM, Sorzano COS. Nat Commun. 11(1):55. 2020
- Continuous flexibility analysis of SARS-CoV-2 spike prefusion structures. Melero R, Sorzano COS, Foster B, Vilas JL, Martínez M, Marabini R, Ramírez-Aportela E, Sanchez-Garcia R, Herreros D, Del Caño L, Losana P, Fonseca-Reyna YC, Conesa P, Wrapp D, Chacon P, McLellan JS, Tagare HD, Carazo JM. IUCrJ. 7(Pt 6):1059-69. 2020
- Measurement of local resolution in electron tomography. Vilas JL, Oton J, Messaoudi C, Melero R, Conesa P, Ramirez-Aportela E, Mota J, Martinez M, Jimenez A, Marabini R, Carazo JM, Vargas J, Sorzano COS. J Struct Biol X. 4:100016. 2019
- DeepRes: a new deep-learning- and aspect-based local resolution method for electron-microscopy maps. Ramírez-Aportela E, Mota J, Conesa P, Carazo JM, Sorzano COS. IUCrJ. 6(6): 1054 – 1063. 2019
Interested candidates should send their CV’s and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org